CELEBRATION, Fla. -- Crystal-clear turquoise waters as far as the eye can see, powdery white sand beaches under foot, swaying palm trees and beautiful tropical flowers; this is what guests will encounter at Disney’s private island paradise, Castaway Cay. Located in the tropical waters of the Bahamas, Castaway Cay provides the ultimate escape, whether a guest is seeking adventure, relaxation or quality time with the family.
When developing the island, Disney Cruise Line built a dock at Castaway Cay, eliminating the need to tender and making the ship extremely accessible throughout the day. Transportation is provided to and from various points on the 1,000-acre island, including a special tram to Serenity Bay -- a beach area reserved exclusively for guests 18 years of age and older. A delicious all-you-care-to-eat lunch buffet is served at Cookie’s BBQ, a covered pavilion located steps away from the main family beach.
Disney Imagineers designed Castaway Cay much like the ship, with activities and areas for every age group, providing an authentic tropical experience for everyone. Disney Cruise Line sails to Castaway Cay on all itineraries originating from Port Canaveral, Fla.
Families. . .
Flying high above the island on a parasail adventure, snorkeling in a 12-acre lagoon, building sand castles on the beach, bouncing along on a banana boat ride or playing foosball in the shade are just a few of the activities that every member of the family can enjoy. Other excursions and activities with family appeal include:
- Nature-lovers rejoice: there are a number of paths to the island&rsquot;s interior that can be explored either on foot or bicycle. A knowledgeable guide explains the ecological wonders found in the Bahamas during the Castaway Cay Walking and Kayak Nature Adventure.
- For water sport enthusiasts there are water cycles, paddleboats, kayaks and sailboats for rent. The island features a 12-acre snorkel trail dotted with sunken treasures, including a submarine from the classic Disney attraction 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- The family beach area is loaded with umbrellas to shield the sun, lounge chairs and hammocks, for a perfect day at the beach. In the lagoon, children will enjoy a water-based jungle gym complete with zip-lines to splash down into the sea.
- The Personal Watercraft Eco Tour gives guests a chance to drive a personal watercraft through intricate mangroves and other natural wonders around the island.
Kid Stuff and Teens, Too. . .
Mirroring the youth activities on the ship, children ages 3-17 will find programs and activities designed specifically for them on the island. Scuttle&rsquot;s Cove is the "hub" of youth activities on the island and features a dig site filled with artificial whale bones. Other activities and programs include:
- Kids looking to cool off can participate in some wet and wild activities like Gotta Get Soaked, a team challenge with water balloons and buckets, Water Olympics, a wacky and wet version of the centuries-old games, and Water Mania, water play for younger kids.
- The Search for Atlantis is a quest around Castaway Cay in search of special crystals that are the life source of the mystical city -- the only catch is that the directions on the ancient map are written in a lost language that will have to be decoded!
- Teens have a morning to themselves to explore Castaway Cay with The Wild Side excursion designed just for them. They&rsquot;ll snorkel, bike and kayak through the island to solve a mystery.
- What do you get when you combine bamboo, rope and a group of determined teenagers? A raft, hopefully! Whatever Floats Your Boat has teens teamed together to design, build and race rafts in the lagoon at Castaway Cay. The first one to shore in one piece wins!
Just for Adults. . .
Located almost a mile from the main family beach, Serenity Bay is an exclusive, pristine stretch of beach for adults only. For the ultimate in relaxation, adults can enjoy a therapeutic massage at one of the nearby cabanas overlooking the ocean. There is no need to head back to the main beach for lunch; a sensational lunch buffet is served at Serenity Bay and refreshments can be found at the Castaway Air Bar.
Member Reviews of "Fun In (And Out Of) The Sun at Castaway Cay, Disney's Private Island Paradise":|
| Submit a member review!
I love Disney's island paradise of Castaway Cay!
In particular, I love lounging in the ocean, at Serenity Bay. This is the adults only beach. It is a bit secluded from the other areas. Rent yourself a float for the day,. and spend it floating in the water. Make sure you have plenty of sun block. You can even take a break, go back to the ship and have lunch, or lunch on the island, return and claim a new float, and enjoy the rest of your day in paradise.
Another fun past time is to rent a bike, and take a ride on the bike trail. You will see some cool things on the island, and it is well worth it.
Weve been to Castaway Cay several times now and each time I find it to
be a very pleasurable experience. Disney has really set this place up
nicely, the barbecue is quite nice and the food is good. They have a
nice store where you can get all those things you might need and
the beaches are both very nice, with nice lounges and umbrellas. They
rent all kinds of neat stuff and its usually sunny here. On the 3/4
night cruises I find that Castaway Cay is the highlight of the trip.
Submit a member review!